Village of Wonder Lake Burning Ordinance
The combined Village and County ordinances impose the following restrictions on open burning of yard waste:
• Burning of landscape waste is prohibited within 100 feet of a habitable structure or within 50 feet of a structure that is not habitable. (garage, shed, barn, swimming pool, etc.);
• Only on Saturdays between dawn and dusk in October and November, then again in April and May;
• All open burning must be supervised by an individual at least 18 years of age until the fire is extinguished and a fire extinguisher or garden hose or water source must be available at the burning site;
• Landscape waste is defined as grass clippings, shrubbery, cuttings, leaves, flowers and weeds. Recreational fires, for warmth or cooking are allowed any day of the year with several restrictions:
• The fire shall be no larger than 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet;
• Shall be brush only (no leaves, grass, shrubbery clippings, weeds or furniture);
• Brush is defined as tree trunks, limbs, branches and twigs.
Summary of Open Burning of Landscape Waste Regulations McHenry County Public Health OrdinanceArticle III; Section 1.29 Effective April 1, 2008
PROHIBITED AT ALL TIMES:
Burning of manure, garbage, construction debris, trash, etc. on any property in McHenry County.
Burning of landscape waste within 100' of a habitable structure (i.e. residence, school, etc)
Burning of landscape waste within 50' of a non-habitable structure (i.e. detached garage, barn, etc).
RESTRICTIONS WHEN GREATER THAN 100' FROM A HABITABLE STRUCTURE AND 50' FROM A NON-HABITABLE STRUCTURE ENFORCEMENT
Any officer of the McHenry County Department of Health, law enforcement agency, fire department or fire protection district is authorized to enforce the provisions of this Ordinance.
Only landscape waste and only on the property where the landscape waste was generated
Only when the winds are less than 10 mph
Only during the months of April, May, Oct. and Nov. -on weekend days (Saturdays and Sundays)
Must be supervised by an individual at least 18 years of age
Only between dawn and dusk
A fire extinguisher, garden hose or water source must be available at the burning site
Burning of on - site generated landscape waste 500' or greater from a habitable structure is allowed:
1) During any month of the year
2) On any day of the week
3) At any time of the day
NOTE: All other prohibitions / restrictions apply.
Recreational fires; not larger than 3'x3'x3', and excludes leaves, grass or shrubbery clippings
Ceremonial fires (bonfires) larger than 3'x3'x3', and excludes leaves, grass or shrubbery clippings; permit required from
McHenry County Department of Health Habitat Reclamation or Firefighter Training
View a copy of the Ordinance: www.mcdh.info or call 815.334.4585
This Ordinance applies to all areas of McHenry County. If you live in a city with more stringent restrictions, the more restrictive rules apply.